Claimants now have access to their Social Security claim file through my Social Security Account
The Social Security Administration announced on Friday January 29, 2021 that individuals who have applied for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and are waiting for a decision can now request a copy of their electronic case documents through my Social Security Account. The information can be requested from either the claimant’s local Field Office or Hearing Office depending on where their claim is pending. The documents will be sent to the my Social Security Account Message Center. PDFs will be available for 30 days and can be saved or printed. We will share more as we learn if the documents will still be available once a decision has been rendered.
You can learn more about this process here.
What can you do with a my Social Security account?
If you are not receiving benefits:
- Get personalized retirement benefit estimates
- Get estimates for spouse’s benefits
- Get proof that you do not receive benefits
- Check your application status
- Get your Social Security Statement
If you are receiving benefits:
- Set up or change direct deposit
- Get a Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) form
- Opt out of mailed notices for those available online
- Print a benefit verification letter
- Change your address